This is the time of year I start battling mice, Asian beetles and box elder bugs, which all think Autumn is the perfect time to stage an invasion of my old house. So these tips for keeping your home pest-free couldn’t come at a better time. Thanks to our guest blogger Austin Clark.
Pests gravitate towards your home because they can find warmth, shelter and food there. The best thing: it’s completely free! They don’t want to work too hard to find the benefits a house can give them. Don’t be the house that lets these critters come in easily. Here are some tips to keep your home pest free.
Pest Removal is Unique to the Pest
Having pests in your home is the last thing you need. They can congregate in large numbers, cause unsanitary conditions and damage to your house. Mice, for instance, have been known to chew through wires and dry wall. On the other hand, termites have been known to bring whole house structures down! We know how much pests can damage in a matter of weeks or months.
Our experts deal with a range of pests every day, including mice, bees, scorpions, cockroaches, ants and more. Each of these pests are unique and need certain procedures to be able to remove them from your property and prevent them from coming back. The best time to deal with pests is before they arrive, so here are a few things you can do to make sure you’re not encouraging them into your home.
- Create a regular schedule for pest control
- Store food away in metal cans and make sure no leftovers around.
- Keep your garbage area locked tight as pests can smell food and often rip into garbage to get it.
- Seal any leaking windows or doors
- Avoid the constant use of humidifiers – some pests love the moisture
- Foster the habit of cleanliness! Nothing makes a pest angrier like a sterile environment.
- If you have a pet, comb and wash them regularly as their fur can carry pests into your home.
- Get rid of any stagnant water around your property. Mosquitoes, for instance, love water.
- Have traps for mice, flies and other easy fixes that stop bugs and pests from starting their own gathering.
- Take a walk around your home and check exhaust vents and dryer vents.
- Look at your chimney, shingles, vent screens and ventilators. Check for gaps and cracks.
- Trim bushes and trees away from the house – they often give easy access for pests into your home.
- Vacuum regularly to get rid of crumbs and food residue. Don’t forget the dark corners.
- Call a pest control company you can trust and have regular pest maintenance.
- Watch out for areas where birds love to nest. Birds can attract other pests as well as become pests themselves!
- Check your plumbing system and any leaks you may have.
Use these tips to help discourage pests from coming into your house. They don’t care if you live in a luxury condo, a house or townhouse, they’re ready to move in anytime when the conditions welcome them. And when you do have a pest problem, make sure to find a pest control team that understands the various pests and knows how to stop them before they invade your home.
Austin Clark is from Moxie Arizona – a Phoenix pest control company and exterminator. With decades long experience in pest management and control, he puts the knowledge and skills to the use for the safety and comfort of Arizona homeowners.